Being the lonely cop on this list, I feel I am entitled to make some points.

  1. Complaining about this kind behaviour should be seriously considered.  Without a complaint, it is likely that the offending policeman will repeat his behaviour with another person.
  2. Fears of a false case being foisted are largely exaggerated and unlikely under the circumstances.  Such things happen when the constable has a chance to prepare false papers, when on the spot.  For a post-facto complaint, he will not be able to much.
  3. This behaviour is typical of the less-educated constable on the street.  The police department is a very large organisation with several layers of hierarchy and there is a whole range of behaviour patterns.  The point is that don't assume it to be a monolith, acting with common intention and a similar type of response at all levels.  More information about Indian police organisation at http://www.humanrightsinitiative.org/programs/aj/police/india/history/default.htm.
  4. Police reforms is a perennial favourite with us police officers -- perennial since nothing ever gets done about them.  Please take the trouble to read the reports of the National Police Commission, published 25 years ago, which are merrily gathering dust (and of late, cyber dust, at http://www.geocities.com/npcreport).
Regards

Nandkumar