On Saturday 04 Aug 2007 6:04 am, Charles Haynes wrote:
> If I say I don't believe in dharma, reincarnation, karma or in any
> gods can I be a Hindu? At what point does "Hindu" become so watered
> down as to be useless as a description? At what point does it become a
> distinction without a difference?

IMO A lot depends on the society of your birth. You can believe whetever you
like but if you are surrounded by a family of practicing Hindus (your own
family that is - not just any family) - then that family will lay claim on
you as being Hindu. The family of a beef-eating person of Hindu origin who
takes pains to distance himself from karma, dharma, pharma, sharma or
whatever, is still flaunted as a "progressive and modern" Hindu.

It is not easy to escape the clutches of Hinduism despite having the most non
Hindu views and beliefs. The point may be that its not YOU personally that
has  a say, but what society thinks of you and how it treats you is equally
important. If society thinks you are Hindu then you are caught. You can spend
your life denying Hinduism but your denial will be laughed off. "Black
sheep", rebels and deniers are all considered par for the course and almost
nothing will  kick a person out of Hinduism. The surest way to get out is to
become a proselytizing convert to Islam or Christianity - but that might not
be enough. Even then he will be called a Hindu convert and will have to be
sure that he follows his holy book well or else he will be described as a
half-Hindu.

Hinduism may well be a state of being that is intimately linked up with place,
family and circumstances of birth. However Hinduism has defaulted to accept
any belief that does not dogmatically claim to be a particular faith. You
will find Hindus pointing at virtually anything (eg something plucked out of
South America)  and claiming that it is a Hindu belief. Anything is allowed.
Nothing is dismissed as totally alien by all Hindus. There is always some
Hindu group who will accept the weirdest practices (is necrophilia and
necrophagia good enough?) as a "legitimate Hindu practice".

shiv