On Wednesday 12 Dec 2007 1:16 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> A perennial conundrum for Indian sociology has been figuring out the
> correct frame of analysis; if all the theories and categories of sociology
> are imported from the West, how can they help us to undestand India? On the
> other hand, it has tended to be insular, looking only at India, without a
> sufficient comparative perspective. An unresolved debate ... and there are
> many others.

Sociology in India is heaven for people like me. I can say what I like and
there is nobody to contradict me.

But I don't believe I am firing random shots.

My first impression that Indians are peculiar and different from observing
myself, but was reinforced by Naipaul who characterized India as a
"stupefied" nation

I will quote from Naipaul's "An Area of Darkness", Penguin, pp 208-209

Quote:
  ... The British pillaged the country thoroughly; during their rule,
manufactures and crafts declined. This has to be accepted and listed against
the achievements listed by Woodruff: a biscuit factory is a poor exchange for
gold embroidery. The country had been pillaged before. But continuity had
been maintained. . With the British, continuity was broken. And perhaps the
British are responsible for this Indian artistic failure, which is part of
the general Indian bewilderment, in the way that the Spaniards were
responsible for the stupefaction of the Mexicans and the Peruvians. It was a
clash between a positive principle and a negative; and nothing more negative
can be imagined than the conjunction in the eighteenth century of a static
Islam and a decadent Hindu India. In any clash between post renaissance
Europe and India, India was bound to lose.

 (Naipaul follows this passage with a footnote that is informative, and I
continue quoting from the footnote)

 If I had read Camus's The Rebel before writing this chapter I might have used
his terminology. Where Camus might have said "capable of rebellion", I have
said "positive"[....]; and it is interesting that Camus gives, as examples of
people incapable of rebellion, the Hindus and the Incas. 'The problem of
rebellion has no meaning except within our Western society. [...snip..] What
is at stake is humanity's gradually increasing self awareness as it pursues
its course. In fact, for the Inca and the Hindu parish the problem never
arises because for them it had been solved by a tradition, even before they
had had time to raise it - the answer being that their tradition is sacred.
If in a world, things are held sacred, the problem of rebelion does not
arise, it is because no real problems are to be found in such a world, all
the answers having been given simultaneously. Metaphysic is replaced by myth.
There are no more questions, only eternal answers and commentaries, which may
be metaphysical.

end Quote

The longer I observe Indian society the clearer it becomes to me that Indians
including every one of us have inherited weird (Probably Hindu, and some
islamic) cultural characteristics that are unique. We tend to superimpose
these characteristics on learned behavior that we acquire from the West or
elsewhere and often produce a grotesque parody that does not convincingly
correlate with what we aim to produce, but openly shows the really weird and
different "Hindu" heritage in behavior.

And nobody has bothered to really understand or unravel that complex Hindu
behavioral heritage. Modernity (or should I say "modernism"?) and political
correctness prevent us from acknowledging caste related influences. It is very
difficult to openly point out behavior in an Indian that is plainly a vestige
of the caste system for fear of arousing needless passion, but those vestiges
are there all around for us to see. Ajit Mani, whom former CiXers will know,
and who unsubscribed himself from Silk has a long list of linguistic vestiges
of the caste system that Indians often use and perpetuate unconsciously and
innocently, with absolutely no idea that they are doing it.

Even Indians who are ostensibly sophisticated and "world citizens" who take
umbrage at being associated with the India they have "left behind" in favor
of modernity often unconsciously display open biases and hints of attitudes
that are unique to India. It is often very difficult to point this out,
because of a reaction called "cognitive dissonance" that tends to cause anger
and denial when uncomfortable facts are pointed out.

If Sociology departments suddenly bloom in every town and city in India, it
will still be 150 years before India and Indian behavior is anywhere near
being sussed out and sorted out intelligently and scientifically. The problem
is that most developed nations understand the value of sociology. Indians,
are babes in the wood, muddling through human evolution in fits and starts.

shiv