On Wednesday 12 Dec 2007 9:25 pm, Deepa Mohan wrote:
> Ironic that English has to be the link language and is yet a sharp
> divider of the "haves" and "have-nots", whether it is a bank balance
> or education or access to information that the "haves" have. But I
> suppose that is true everywhere in the English-speaking world?

Not having English may be a problem everywhere in the Anglosphere but I
believe India counts as a special variant of "Anglosphere".

My childhood was spent devouring English books that were published from
London, New York, Toronto, Sydney and Johannesburg and it took a while for me
to start wondering why Delhi did not feature on the list. Even more puzzling
was the realization that English speakers in India probably outnumbered
Australia and Canada put together.

Even more perplexing to me was the realization that for all the numbers,
English is spoken by perhaps 5% of Indians.

The history of English in India seems to fit in with the frequently touted
theory that it all started with Macaulay's minute. Macaulay's minute lays out
the exact arguments for commencing English education in India with the idea
being to create a class of Indian who had British tastes and culture but
could serve as interpreters to the vast mass of Indians and thus help in
governance, apart from other lofty ideals.

Macaulay also asked for stopping the funding of education in "Sanscrit" and
Arabic. I quote his exact words because I believe  they are relevant in an
interesting way today:

"What we spend on the Arabic and Sanscrit colleges is not merely a dead loss
to the cause of truth; it is bounty-money paid to raise up champions of
error. It goes to form a nest, not merely of helpless place-hunters, but of
bigots prompted alike by passion and by interest to raise a cry against every
useful scheme of education."

I believe the British did succeed in creating an educated class of English
speakers with values that the British wanted to see. Apart from speaking
English, those values included an appreciation of British style rule of law
and a "religion-neutral" Indian Penal Code was applied to replace the old
laws (whatever they were)

A lot has been said about what Macaulay allegedly did, but what interests me
is what he did not do, or did not manage to do.

If we assume that 5% of Indians speak English, then Macaulay's language did
not reach 95%. The question is what percentage of this 95% of Indians now
belong to Macaulay's characterization of people as forming a "nest, not
merely of helpless place-hunters, but of bigots prompted alike by passion and
by interest to raise a cry against every useful scheme of education"

One can look at Macaulay's viewpoint in two ways:

The less kind method is to see him as a racist ignoramus and that is how some
people do see him.

A kinder view of Macaulay would be to agree that from his viewpoint the Hindus
and Muslims of India really were " bigots prompted alike by passion and by
interest to raise a cry against every useful scheme of education"

If we remove our love or hate of Macaulay and look at his views in
dispassionate terms some questions arise. There MUST be a significant
percentage of Indians who were not touched at all by Macaulay. If we search
for these "untouched by Macaulay" people, can we *really* find among them a
large proportion of Indians who are bigots and who have no real innate sense
of rule of law as per the "imposed" Indian Penal Code and prefer rule
according to whatever system they had traditionally followed?

An empirical examination of this question suggests that the answer is
"Yes" (to me)

We know that Muslims of India in general did not like Macaulay's scheme and
tended to stick to Madrassas. So let me declare all Muslims as people
untouched by Macaulay who are "bigots prompted alike by passion and by
interest to raise a cry against every useful scheme of education." But
condemning all Muslims at 15% of the Indian population still does not explain
the behavior and views of the remaining (95%-15%)=80% of Indians ostensibly
untouched by Macaulay.

If my extrapolation is even approximately right, it could also mean that the
vast majority of Hindus in India also fall in the category of " bigots
prompted alike by passion and by interest to raise a cry against every useful
scheme of education"

The conclusion is this entire goddam country is full of bigots who have no
innate sense of rule of law other than the laws that they had before the
British came - either sharia or whatever else they held sacred. This
conclusion makes the minority anglophone Indians, whose apparently "model
behavior" is assumed to represent the real Indian is merely a coat of varnish
on a rickety termite ridden chair. Even that is if we assume that the coat of
varnish has completely rid itself of the faults of the chair and I am not
totally sure about that.

There is nobody to study whether disquieting extrapolations such as mine are
correct or not, but much of the behavior of Indians seems to suggest that
there may be some truth to it. If true, it calls for action to move society
toward rule of law and acceptance of that from all groups. Playing one group
against the other is what I see happening in India, with no effort going into
moving all groups towards the end goal of rule of law and respect for
individual rights.

But there has to be a widespread  self recognition that India is this way.
Only sociological studies can prove or disprove a hypothesis such as mine and
those studies do not exist AFAIK. Did someone say where's the research data?

shiv