This is the hawaiian steel guitar, which incidentally made its way
into india via the hawaiian guitarist Tao Moe in the 1930s (he used to
perform at the taj mahal hotel in bombay).

To best understand carnatic music, i think you should start by trying
to learn a carnatic musical instrument (good mridangam teachers should
not be hard to find).