On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Perry E. Metzger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Well, this is an entirely new argument, and not an unreasonable
> one.

Given the incredibly high standard of the discussion on this issue, I have
to thank you for tolerating my slightly crackpot view on this :)

> Your claim, summarized, is that the reason to hold on to Kashmir
> is not based in any sort of abstraction but merely in the concrete
> strategic importance of the territory as a buffer zone with a hostile
> power.
>
> I would still question this.
>
> First, in a situation where both powers are nuclear armed, is there
> any realistic possibility that the Pakistani government would believe
> it could invade and conquer Delhi without large sections of the
> country becoming radioactive wastelands? Further, given the significant
> disparity in per capita income, population and consequent military
> strength, would it be reasonable of the Pakistani government to
> believe that India would lose such a war even in the unlikely event
> that it remained conventional rather than nuclear? In short, wouldn't
> the impossibility of winning deter a war?

I agree that the presence of nuclear weapons on both sides, especially with
the weak command structure surrounding the delivery of such weapons is
worrying. At the same time, I urge you to consider the history of the
US-Russia nuclear war documented by Richard Rhodes in his trilogy.

Reading that series, a few things become apparent:

1. The military argument was always in favour of strategic nukes - it kept
soldiers away from battle; the invention of MIRVs allowed for precise
predictable targeting much favoured by military planners (boosted to absurd
levels in the McNamara era). Related, the military-industrial establishment
milked the enormous expenditure required to maintain strategic nukes for
some very nice empire building and additionally, given the difficulty of
actually establishing how many weapons the other side possessed, easily
justified endless increases in military spending.

2. Tactical nukes were always looked upon in disdain by military commanders.
Their effects were too unpredictable in their effects to allow for the type
of careful planning that most military commanders, schooled in more
traditional warfare preferred.

3. The enormous cost and effect of strategic nukes therefore inevitably lead
to political oversight - and every single leader of the US/USSR dreaded the
cost of actually pushing the button and commented on the futility of
stockpiling such weapons.. even Khrushchev/JFK during the heights of the
cuban missile crisis. Despite this insight amongst those ultimately
responsible, the fog of disinformation and the paranoia of hawks (like
Edward Teller) kept the US and USSR in expensive stalemate.

Does any of the above work against a rogue commander actually launching a
nuke as a desperate attempt to claim victory? Of course not, but I would
argue that the (admittedly short) history of nuclear weapons indicates
otherwise.

> Second, is not a major reason to fear a war, in itself, the
> possession of the buffer zone in question? It would seem to be
> somewhat unreasonable to try to prevent a war by maintaining a
> situation that has been the cause of major conflict.

I agree it seems unreasonable, but the political elite might deem it a
bloody, expensive form of insurance.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

[e&oe sensible military strategists rather than religious fanatics, on both
> sides]

My own thought on religious fanatics using a-bombs is that the knowledge
required to defeat normal safeguards on portable tactical nukes without
damaging the intricate electronics required for a chain reaction is not yet
fully within thier grasp. Also, given the far easier access to conventional
explosives and the presence of their enemy in locations where they have the
geographic advantage to attack at will argues against full-blown nuclear
strikes by  terrorists. Dirty bombs on the other hand are a different
ballgame altogether [1]

[1] Shameless self-linking:
http://blog.balaji-dutt.name/2008/02/10/what-we-owe-to-the-a-bomb/
--