--- On Thu, 8/21/08, Bonobashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Isn't this then a lovely opportunity to suggest that the
> plebiscite take place simultaneously all over the earlier
> administrative areas of Kashmir? That should set a nose or
> two out of joint! Of course, we run the risk of learning
> that they, too, want to stay away. Tough.

The 'earlier adminstrative areas' of Kashmir  would include areas now under the
control of Pakistan and China. It is interesting: the popular consensus is that
India should conduct a plebiscite. I happen to agree. It's also interesting
though, that no one expects either Pakistan and China to conduct a plebiscite
in the areas of Kashmir contolled by them, which they essentially gained
control of through military means. So - either
- we assume that the people in those areas are perfectly satisfied with their
current regimes
or
- if they are not satisfied, and also want independence as a seperate Kashmiri
nation, their opinions and tights don't matter as much as the opinions of those
in the Valley. Curious, no?

No one believes that either China or Pakistan would consent to a plebiscite,
any more than they would consent to holding one in Tibet or the North West
Frontier province.

None of this changes my opinion that India should conduct a plebiscite, at
least in the Valley. Should the denizens of the Valley indeed opt for
independence from both India and Pakistan though, it would be immensely
difficult for the new nation, land-locked as it is, and completely snow-bound
in winter, to survive without substantial support (read: subsidies) from its
larger neighbours.

cheers,
Divya