Oh, I think that (building a key to define $ through $$$) is likely to be
hopeless at a top-down level. There are too many diverse contexts on this list.
Maybe the best would be to define only three levels, using the $ sign only as a
signifier of value, and standing for 'very costly', 'valuable' and 'not
expensive', and let everybody decide for herself/himself which activity is
rated what.

bonobashi