On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:08:54PM +0530, Deepa Mohan wrote:
> >  Inasmuch destruction of future potentials is to be considered
> > > you can always counter that by maximized potential/mole realized by
> > postbiota.
> >
> > explain ?
>

> Yes, yes, please explain. There was a loud zipping noise as this sentence
> shot past over my head.

Postbiota are evolutionary successors of us/our machines, living in deep
space as native habitat. They will self-select to create a relativistic
expanding pioneer critter wavefront, that tranforms any stellar system
it passes by. By changing the dead dirt into self it prevents possible
advent of future life (and is difficult to observe, due to relativistic
speed and observer-extinguishing/emergence-preventing side effect (anthropic
principle)). Being darwinian machines these will self-optimize until they
reach ultimate or omega fitness regime at very high diversity, after
which only change is random brownian spatiotemporal fitness oscillations.

This kinda negates them being stranglers-in-the-crib of protolife and
killers of subexpansive life (as us-current, for instance). In my book.