In Free Societies I think we believe there's large social benefit to
fairness and freedom. This includes access to enfranchisement in that
society. And a place to live, a place to work, etc. are elements of that.
Hence, in the US, there are Civil Rights laws that make certain
discrimination against people on the basis of race, religion, and gender
illegal -- all added in the 20th century after struggles.

I agree with personal choice; for example, I disagree with forcing a woman
to wear a headscarf and I disagree with attempts to force a woman not to be
able to wear a headscarf -- like some French schools tried to do. No one
forces them to rent out their places. But if they want to engage in what is
essentially commerce, for the greater societal welfare it needs to be
governed by fair rules as much as stock transactions should bar insider
information. For example, there is a list of information that a realtor
cannot provide a buyer in the US as its considered discriminatory:
http://law.freeadvice.com/government_law/civil_rights_law_ada/housing_protections.htm

That said, there's plenty hidden discrimination -- people who don't want to
rent to college kids fearing destructive parties. Condo communities that
don't allow children because it annoys the old folks. Fat people are often
discriminated against in the workplace. Sometimes it can be hard to prove.
As much as a huge liability the litigious nature of the US is, sometimes it
does end up scaring people into doing the ethical thing, simply to avoid
punishment.

But on a personal note, a vegetarian Hindu in India (mind you, that's what
my Indian side of the family has been for generations), who walks around
thinking themselves morally superior to a Swede who eats meat just makes me
laugh. In Sweden there is no such idea as a person being a "dalit." There
are no slums. Everyone can go to school. It is illegal to discriminate
against people based on color (they even have dark skinned women on TV,
which I almost never see here in India!), religion, race, gender, etc. There
is no eve-teasing, no police torture (and the police enforce the law), no
dowrys, no honor killing, very little violence and crime, you can cross the
street without cars trying to run you down, etc. When India starts taking
care of the human beings here, I'll stop eating meat. Priorities, please!

Two final points -- the US has plenty of poverty, corruption, and violence
(not to mention the reported torture in Gitmo)-- which many Americans find
shameful (and I also laugh at Americans who think we're the best because
we've got claim to so many superlatives, rather than contemplating rating us
on the life of the average person or plight of those least fortunate). And
second, there are *many* progressive and humanist Indians I've met who want
to change things for the better here (and things have been getting better
here in so many ways) -- the population is diverse here and I'm only talking
about that segment that acts in these intolerant ways. The conflict between
the "intolerati" (some of whom wouldn't want to rent to an Indian because
they don't want that "damned curry smell" in their rental unit --
fortunately that's illegal for them to do -- and some of whom would want all
Muslims in the US rounded up and put in camps, which again, is completely
unconstitutional and would never be done -- especially after the shame of
the Japanese internment during WWII) and the rest of Americans is one of the
reasons for the major regime change in 2008.

Because, to quote Michael Caine's character from the Austin Powers movie,
"There are two things I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other
people's cultures, and the Dutch!" :-)