> However, the idea that Muslims should somehow be "cleaning their own house"
> and taking care of these guys is stupid.

Hmm...maybe..but the pressure on some of them who do think differently to
conform is quite great. I felt that from one of the friends I mentioned in
my post.

Somewhere during the third year, one of them lost his mother. There was so
much guilt drilled into him that after he came back a few weeks later, he
completely quit drinking and smoking. Started doing namaz religiosly and
going to the prayer every Friday (we usually were sleeping after a heavy
lunch or used the long lunch break to take the rest of the day off and the
weekend started early). And he avoided hanging out with us, and moved with
the other Muslims more.

I realize these are isolated incidents, and exceptions aren't the rule, but
then exceptions are a clue. The alternative to some of the more progressive
Muslims leading the change is that we wait till the free market economy and
capitalism hits them hard enough that they are more concerned with making
money and living the good life that religion takes a back seat in their
overall psyche (simplistic, but there has to be some motivators?).

That madrassa reformed kid I mentioned was a normal, school going kid. The
family itself was not very well off, but they were doing OK. And they were
very nice people. Their daughters (or at least one of them) were doing
professional degrees in engineering (which are the most competitive to get
admissions to) which is quite rare in Kerala Muslims in similar economic
strata.

So, basically I don't get it. I don't think we can compare them to the
Vikings. And I don't think this is just history repeating itself. And
forcing change (through military or other means) from the outside might only
result in making matters worse (as evidenced in recent efforts) and maybe if
nurtured from within, it might have better results?

Kiran