On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Zainab Bawa <bawazaina...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear .
> Discrimination in the rental housing market is not limited to religion. It
> extends to caste, sex, nationality (and is there anything else under the
> sun?).

Yes, Gender.  Would it be wrong to say its the largest group being
discriminated against in many different situations? To (re)cite an
earlier experience, the landlord never asked me the woman's religion
or age (both of which I didnt know) but her singular status and living
alone upset him enough to claim that "single women are a big problem
that no landlord wants".  Now that does get my goat (pun (un)intended)
as I never understood what its supposed to imply or mean or was I
reading too much into it. But he was not the first to say that so when
2 brokers echoed his s(ub)lim(e)y thoughts I realized how dangerous
single women are, never mind that men speaking thus have daughters.
The irony is befuddling!!

In retrospect, I'd have been more worried knowing that a woman I
referred had to interact with such creepiness. That said, people still
have the right to being bigots and narrow-minded when it comes to
personal spaces or personal life choices. I too have a choice to
ignore and avoid them or reduce my interactions to the minimum if
necessary.  Yeah, discrimination against women is not limited to
Bangalore or India and probably exists everywhere in different forms.
Heck, which woman is yet to feel safe while living (or traveling)
alone in India after dark? Or escape spousal physical abuse in
middle-class homes? or escape from incest, rape or sexual harassment?
Or the fact that our courts still tolerate and allow an accused to use
sexist language and red herrings in anticipatory bail applications[0].

[0]  http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1249292

I could go on but this discussion on discrimination and incidents like
the Rama Sene made me realize that gender (as a kid/teen, i'd never
have believed it and i may be completely wrong here) is still the
largest demographic group being discriminated against, not changed
much over the centuries (in form perhaps). I dont see the media-hype
around gender-related crimes (except the sensational ones) nor any
proper studies undertaken across all demographics of Indian society.
Did you really think an educated middle-class
engineer/doctor/businessman cannot indulge in spousal abuse? Does
class, caste or education have a role to play in gender abuse. I dont
know. But our general populace does not care enough to bring about a
change or a proper support system for the largest demographic you can
find, except perhaps in sensational cases which get media attention
and gather public support. Sadly most crimes and the female victims
slip between the cracks, go un-noticed, or become mere statistics.

>> And also, I am not an advocate of regulations to curb discrimination. As
> has been pointed out in some of the postings, biases and prejudices are very
> deep seated. Applying regulations can be counter-productive in the sense of
> increasing the antagonism. Neither do I believe that the market will solve
> the problem. Some pretty radical dislocations are required i.e. traditions
> and paradigms that challenge the hegemonic beliefs of religion, identity and
> property.

I dont know how the radical change will come about but harking back
into time reminds me that discrimination is certainly not a new
phenomenon when it comes to property. Erstwhile Mughal rulers used to
collect the jazia tax from non-muslims while Hindu kings have fought
violent battles over kingdoms and women. What is it about
property/kingdoms are fiercely personal (unlike maybe a job?) and does
evoke the beast (arent they territorial too) within humans??

--
.