I'm getting a fair amount of anecdotal evidence to support reports
that minorities have been systematically disenfranchised. Other than
the reports in the paper of widespread deletion of muslim names from
electoral rolls, I've been been hearing a lot from Christians as well.
I've heard of:

* Names marked 'deleted' on the rolls.

* Names missing (which were present online just a month ago).

* Voter Registration attempts being rejected without explanation.

Even if the cases are not statistically significant enough prove
anything, the very fact that the stories are making the rounds are
indicative of the suspicious and mistrustful attitude developing in
the community. That's definitely worrying -- many indications are that
Indian society is more divided along caste and religious lines now
than at any time since independence.

*sigh*

Time to start moving assets abroad?

-- b