On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Biju Chacko <biju.cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm getting a fair amount of anecdotal evidence to support reports
> that minorities have been systematically disenfranchised. Other than
> the reports in the paper of widespread deletion of muslim names from
> electoral rolls, I've been been hearing a lot from Christians as well.
> I've heard of:
>
> * Names marked 'deleted' on the rolls.
>
> * Names missing (which were present online just a month ago).
>
> * Voter Registration attempts being rejected without explanation.
>
> Even if the cases are not statistically significant enough prove
> anything, the very fact that the stories are making the rounds are
> indicative of the suspicious and mistrustful attitude developing in
> the community. That's definitely worrying -- many indications are that
> Indian society is more divided along caste and religious lines now
> than at any time since independence.

I think the electoral rolls were messed up for quite a few people. I know of
4 instances (all hindu if that helps) of names being mangled and names being
deleted amongst my friends. I think it is more to do with improper process
(and incompetent officials) rather than any bias.

I have stopped reading mainstream newspapers as all they look for nowadays
is a good "story" - truth be damned. Sad but true.

-- Vinayak