On Jun 1 2009, Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:

Yes, of course. This is merely a data point. At the risk of sounding too generic: having a long commute amplifies some stress factors that are not not universal and will not make sense to someone in the west until they have first hand experience out here.

While I lived in Bangalore it was mainlzy pollution that rose my stress level. First air pollution, but also noise pollution. Since I lived in Richmond Town there were normally no long distances involved. But despite the comfort of taking autos I felt quite tired even after travelling a few miles.

Now I commute half an hour every morning and half an hour every evening. But as I cycle on a cycle path alongside a river I literally feel no more stress at all, no matter how bussy or long I work.

-b