2009/6/1 Venkat Mangudi <s...@venkatmangudi.com>

> One of the people I reviewed a few years ago expected to be promoted to
> Project Manager and was pissed that it did not happen. He had 4 yrs of
> experience.

Sigh. God save us...

Try and recruit for a startup which is bootstrapping and doesn't have the
luxury of spending VC millions and you really feel the pinch. It was tough
times in Hyderabad with my earlier startup and Bangalore doesn't look to be
any easier. Your choices are to outsource at $ bill rates, hire younguns who
need somebody to review every line of code they write (who in turn needs to
be paid a bomb), or hire a group of 2-3 years experience guys who you
collectively pay a bomb to with minimal reduction in oversight overheads.
Adding to the woes is that nobody is ready to accept equity instead of cash
- blame the 30% YOY hikes for that.

> I thought he was overpaid.

A reporter from Forbes India I've been talking to recently mentioned that
many in the Indian IT industry are actually welcoming the downturn and a
return to sanity of pay versus skills/experience. The mess we've gotten
ourselves into over the past few years is not sustainable in the long run if
we're to remain competitive.

Kiran