On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Having worked in a few places around the world, I found that the
>> productivity per hour of an employee in India is about (#include
>> <made-up-math.h>) half that of an employee in the US. I have never
>> been able to figure out exactly why this is the case as I have not
>> noticed gender, race, nationality, type of job, religion or age have
>> any influence on this. I suspect it has something to do with the state
>> of economic and civic infrastructure in India, but I have only
>> anecdotal evidence for this.

> I've noticed this too. As others have pointed out the stressful
> environmental factors are certainly contributing, but the real reason IMO is
> something else.
>
> Ask yourself this, how many Indians have you met who really really like what
> they are doing? Or are at least happy with who they are?
>
> 9 out of every 10 Indians I have met are looking to move up the ladder, move
> on, change jobs, you name it.

My simplistic armchair psychoanalyzing has a different conclusion. I
think the biggest difference is the amount of individual initiative.
As a gross overgeneralization my observation is that on average,
Americans, most Western Europeans, Australians, and Israelis show a
lot of individual initiative. If they see something that needs doing,
rather than waiting to be told, they'll either bring it up, or fix it
themselves. If they think you (as the boss) are doing something
(technically) incorrectly, or there's a better way - they'll suggest
it. (Sometimes at the top of their voices! :)

In India, I found much less of this, even from my highly technical
teams in Google.

-- Charles