On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Chetan Nagendra <che...@pobox.com> wrote:

> .it's always been
>> meaningless mumbo-jumbo to me.
>>

> I wouldn't be so dismissive, and the 'mumbo-jumbo' is a specialty of
> orthodox sects such as the Madhva Brahmins.

I'm not being dismissive..what I said was, it *was* always meaningless to
ME. If they are meaningful to others, that's as it should be (obviously,
they are meaningless to my husband who cannot even remember the mantras in
their entirety.)

 In fact, before my daughter's wedding, I spent a year learning all the
mantras that were to be recited, and their meanings and symbolic
significance. I then sent a series of emails to the 30 Americans who came
down for the wedding, explaing each part of the wedding to them. It tickled
me a lot when two  Punjabi friends from Delhi asked about the significance
of the swing ceremony and two cousins living on Vashon Island explained it
to them!

The conclusion I came to was that they were relevant to a time when a woman
had (quite literally...only one of the mantras is uttered by the woman out
of the hundreds in the wedding rituals) nothing to say in the wedding....and
when she was, truly, a belonging, "handed" (pANi grahaNa) from father to
husband.

Deepa.