On 6/9/09, Indrajit Gupta <bonoba...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>  The South Indians were
> > extremely particular about the use of right hand.
> >
> > -- Raj Shekhar

only SIs ate with their left hands limp to the side, whereas they,
> red-blooded and, er, earthy Punjabis, used both hands to get at their food,
> and wouldn't have hesitated to use their feet either if required. Their
> statement.

This is one of the few practices for which I have found a logical and valid
reason. Since Indians use water and not toilet paper, the left hand is used
for such cleaning and hence never used for ingestion. Over a period of
years, by association, the left hand has become "unclean" and is never used
for accepting anything from anyone. There's even a superstition that if you
accept money with your left hand, you might lose it (er, not in the toilet,
but...) If you put down something with your left hand, you will not remember
where you kept it....when you are searching for something, you are likely to
hear (if you are from a TamBram family), "You must have put it down with
your left hand". The left hand is, indeed, denoted by the appellation
"peeccha kai" (I certainly don't have to translate that)...and using it for
food, writing, accepting gifts, and handing things to people, is frowned
upon. Thaths, Udhay...what's your input on this? Did you, when you were
growing up, find this anti-southpaw bias?

Deepa.