On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 16:07, Deepak Misra <yahoogro...@deepakmisra.com> wrote:
> It is basically understanding what is a good conductor of "yechal" or
> "Ointha" as we call it in Oriya.
> Whatever is fixed is not while what is not fixed is.  So plates clearly are
> while kitchen counters are not.

In some orthodox tambram houses putting a 'yechal' plate on the
kitchen counter would be a big no no.  And there is also a restriction
on putting the plate directly into the kitchen sink.  You'd have to go
wash it (or at least pour some water on it) where you wash your hands
(which is never the kitchen sink), and subsequently go deposit it in
the kitchen sink.

> The fridge used to pose a challenge for my
> othodox grandmother  since Non veg food used to contaminate her food in the
> fridge. The problem was solved by desiganting one shelf in the fridge as
> pure  ensuring that no meat, eggs or Ointha food ever touched that shelf.
>
> A Table falls somewhere  in no mans land since it is fixed but also movable.
> . I had this near miss incident in a small village in  Orissa when I are
> some snacks and sweets and unconsciously almost  put the "dirty" plate on
> the cabinet where all the sweets  were stored. The waiter shouted and I
> stopped myself just in time.

The area of the dining table / floor where the plate rested (which for
the brahmin men is signified by the circle of water drops around the
plate) is yechchal.  So, even the immovable floor can be yechchal.
[The following sentences assume right-hand-normativity.]  Also, if one
held the plate in the left hand while eating, then that hand becomes
yechchal.  That means no serving of food using the left hand (until it
is 'cleansed' with water), and sometimes even no touching of the
remote control with the left hand!

For a bit more nuance: Yechchal, as someone observed earlier in this
thread, can be avoided by flicking the food (if it is flickable, like
mixture or laddoo) into the mouth.  If, however, your hand is holding
the laddoo when the laddoo touches your teeth, then your hand is
yechchal.