--- On Wed, 10/6/09, Abhijit Menon-Sen <a...@toroid.org> wrote:

> From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <a...@toroid.org>
> Subject: [silk] pay up, or stay here
> To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
> Date: Wednesday, 10 June, 2009, 8:23 AM
> Are employment contracts with "if you
> leave, you have to give three
> months' notice or _pay us three months' salary_" clauses
> enforceable
> in India? Or is it just intimidation?
>
> -- ams, just curious.

This is a contract under civil law, enforceable in a civil suit, whatever time
it takes.

It has to be even-handed, insofar as both sides have to have equal rights; you
can't say,"When we sack you, we pay you a month's money, when you resign, you
pay us three months' worth."

Consequences when you leave may be refusal to give you an experience
certificate, which may give some ethical employers a pain in the elbow; there
are no ethical employers in India.

They can't hold your PF. They may hold your gratuity. No variable pay (bonuses,
etc.) unless you are married to a lawyer who's willing to fight, doubtful even
then. No sales or marketing commissions.

The definition of a month's salary needs VERY careful attention, with regard to
what is included and what is not. It has to be the same both ways.

      Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter
http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com