--- On Wed, 10/6/09, Kiran K Karthikeyan <kiran.karthike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Kiran K Karthikeyan <kiran.karthike...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [silk] pay up, or stay here
> To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
> Date: Wednesday, 10 June, 2009, 11:55 AM
> 2009/6/10 Kiran Jonnalagadda <j...@pobox.com>
>
> > Wouldn't this fall foul of bonded labour regulations?
> >
> > A friend of mine quit an IT major three months after
> joining, while still
> > in his mandatory training period. His superior said
> she couldn't record it
> > as a resignation. She'd get investigated for that, so
> she was going to mark
> > him as absconding.
> >
> > He received a notice from them demanding he pay up the
> "training fee" bond.
> > A lawyer advised him to ignore it since it wouldn't
> stand in court anyway.
> > He did, and in over six years since, hasn't been
> bothered by them again.
>

> Same thing happened to me, but I paid up since the company
> I was joining
> agreed to pay the bond. Incidentally, I did recieve a
> summons from the court
> - so its not ignored by the court and they do give it a
> hearing. Of course,
> if the summons have not been served i.e. if you have not
> recieved it, then
> you have an excuse (I think). A friend of mine changed
> addresses in between
> his time at the same co and therefore got away with it.
>
> Kiran

Be very clear that the implementation differs between countries. TCS has won
some landmark judgements in the US, they don't have much hope in India. On one
assignment, I had the task of clearing (abandoning) Rs. 17 lakhs worth of
pending bond recovery cases which everyone knew were not going to be recovered.

      Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India
Travel http://in.travel.yahoo.com/