Everyone I've given CS to that had a cold sore says it's the best thing they EVER used...no exceptions. My GF used it as they first started tingling and they didn't emerge..just went away. A dab, applied once. She, in fact, hasn't even had that for a few years now..apparently..no more cold sores..at all.

The lady at the post office had a big one. I gave her a 2 oz spray bottle of CS to wet it down with every now and then. Gone in a couple of days.
 After that....according to her..
 A Dab on a tingler and no sore.
"Humm..when did I last have a tingler?  Don't remember."

Ode