Marshall,
You are correct about there being a limit to how close you can move the
rods. I took that into account in my original post where I recommended
the minimum distance to be 1.5 inches. The statement regarding constant
current isn't correct in a practical sense. If you have infinite voltage
available it is correct (and then the high voltage will cause other
problems). I run my setup at 30 or 38 volts depending on the size of the
batch I am making. I have two digital multimeters (DMM), one measuring
voltage acrocc the rods and one measuring current. I also have
adjustable current limiting but it is only useful if I have to be away
from the brewing for an extended period of time. Even with using some
high ppm colloidal silver solution as a starter, it takes a long time to
get to current limiting at 10 ma. I haven't bothered to plot current vs
time yet because I haven't yet settled on a standard process but one day
I will. Once I have that settled, I can add alternating current and
shutoff at a set ppm but until then AC will interfere with my DMM
monitors.

Dee,
IMO, you can move the electrodes closer, with a 1.5 inch being the
minimum, for a significant part of your brewing without sacrificing
quality because the very low currents that happen during the early
period of the brewing.I do this myself when I am making 1/2 gallon or
more at a time. I can't be more specific because I don't know what
voltage you use, the size of your batch or if you use a colloidal silver
starter. But you can always reduce time significantly by adding more CS
as a starter.
 - Steve