Let me remind anyone lurking that, indeed, we will happily discuss
anything you wish to about our main topic of Colloidal Silver! All that
is required is for you to pose a question to the gathered members.

When such traffic is light, however, I do not prohibit excursions into
other areas of alternative health, particularly, or even the occasional
thread about Operating Systems!

I've been in the process of "switching to Linux" for going on four
years, I think. It was the cost of four or five copies of Windows XP to
replace increasingly decrepit Windows 98 installations that got me
looking at the alternatives. Meanwhile a couple of copies of XP came
into the house courtesy of my sons' interest in gaming and my wife's
laptop, which has kept us going while I slowly climbed the Linux
learning curve.

I first installed a copy of Libranet 3.0, a now defunct Linux
distribution based on Debian Sarge, on a spare computer that wasn't
being used very much. This gave me the chance to evaluate just how hard
it would be to work with compared to Windows.

After a year or two of tinkering with that, I wiped the drive and
installed a copy of Debian Etch. This I am running today on what is
gradually becoming my primary machine. In fact, as of this week, I need
only to translate my extensive e-mail archives to Unix mailbox format
for compatibility with Thunderbird and I will be able to stop booting
the Windows machine I'm using as I type this.

So far, I can fully understand why Dee finds herself intimidated by
Linux and her son less than thrilled with the notion of helping her.
When you buy a computer with Windows pre-installed, all the really hard
work has been done for you -- at least until the wretched thing starts
to crumble under the weight of Microsoft's notoriously poor software
engineering and the onslaught of malware.

Linux is still young and growing out of being a nerd's specialty into a
legitimately useful alternative for everyday computer users. While vast
swaths of the process of setting up and using it are now clean,
elegant, and smoothly functional -- often superior to Microsoft
products! -- it is inevitable you'll still run into a few glitches that
require a lot more digging into incredible technical minutia than most
"normal" people would be comfortable with.

The trade-offs are becoming clearer by the day...

Windows has a familiar, admittedly well crafted user interface, comes
pre-installed by default, and still carries the day as the "standard"
way of interacting with computers. Software availability in all major
genres is good, with the possible exception of a few multimedia-related
applications where Apple has always held the lead.

Windows is also expensive, resource hungry, often challenging to
install on new hardware, and comes with myriad risks due to Microsoft's
inadequate security framework design.

It takes a great deal of effort to get all the security-related add-ins
working together without bringing your machine to its knees, and
keeping a Windows installation running well over time requires constant
diligence. Many people resort to wiping and re-installing every few
months, or else limp along with a crippled machine until they can't
take it any more, and then buy a new one, complete with the newest
version of Windows pre-installed.

And so the cycle repeats.

Linux has its problems, too...

When things go wrong you'll often find yourself dealing with relative
chaos trying to get answers, since most open software projects are run
by volunteers and supported by users, rather than big corporations with
toll-free tech support lines. Too many Linux users are techno-weenies
who've long forgetten, if they ever knew, what it was like to be a
complete beginner with computers or Linux. That's frequently the kind
of documentation they write and tech support they give.

Linux also throws a lot of choices at you. Too many, usually. Ask, "How
do I do this?" and you'll get dozens of answers, ranging from editing
configuration files and typing in command-line recipes to slickly
packaged graphical applications. Figuring out which ones to focus on
often requires a deft touch with Google and some familiarity with the
culture to know where the support really is.

There are still a few areas in which Linux and open source development
is lagging, most notably in gaming and some aspects of multimedia, and
sometimes there is a wait of weeks or months before the newest hardware
gets complete support.

Over the last year that I've been running Linux, however, I've been
impressed with just how *solid* it is. Things stay set up the way you
left them and don't spontaneously seem to *AGE* like they do under
Windows! All this time I've had automatic updates configured and
downloaded dozens of patches and updates, and never once has my system
broken down or been compromised by mal-ware.

Each time I've decided to tinker with something new, I've always typed
'Debian' or 'Linux' and the type of software I'm looking for into
Google, and usually within 15 minutes I've run across the application
that I end up settling on. Every time I've needed to ask questions on
forums, I've eventually gotten the help I needed, though I'm always
prepared to give the process a few days. It's a lot like getting help
from this list, in fact!

Yet, above all, I think it is the *spirit* of the thing that has
gradually won me over, more than anything else. To have literally all
the software I could possibly want available at my fingertips at little
to no cost is simply amazing. It is so *liberating* to know that
thousands of ordinary people, not just a few large companies, are
seeing after the development, reliability and security of it all.

At the very core, I see that the kind of world we create for our kids
to live in is going to hinge, in part, on the choices we make in what
software and operating systems we run on our computers.

You do realise this, I hope?

If I look at where Microsoft and the powers-that-be want to take us, I
see computing and an Internet that are more expensive, more controlled,
less free, with less privacy. Open source software and Linux shows me a
different vista entirely; where quality software is within the reach of
everyone, anyone can get involved in making things better, and no
central authority can impose its will on us.

Yes, there are problems with Linux, but then there are problems with
Microsoft's Vista as well. I know which future I'd like to live in.

Peace,

Mike D.