If the container is non reactive, there is little air space and all you have is water, water byproducts and silver..which ISN'T photo reactive, then it has nothing to change into.

The water byproducts "should" recombine into water leaving colloidal silver or a silver precipitate..but they don't. You do get some silver hydroxide formation after a few days, but once the EIS has "stabilized", it stays the same, light or dark. If the EIS was made past the saturation points, it may continue to stabilize for a month or so and make compounds out of dissolved water byproduct gasses, none of which are photo reactive.
 In that case, you'll see a visual change...generally gone yellow.

You cannot make a vacuum in a container full of water...vapor will fill it to saturation. If the internal pressure is the same as the external, there's no reason for any gases to exchange though a seal. The water that EIS is made in, is generally saturated with atmospheric gasses to start with. If they haven't caused a problem during the stabilization stages, they probably won't.

Ode

At 02:33 PM 10/10/2008 -0400, you wrote:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 01:57:20PM +0000, M. G. Devour wrote:
> Someone asks Ken:
>
> Ken wrote:
> > > ## EC meter.
> > > Colloids don't conduct electricity.
>
> Indi replies:
> > That is incorrect. Even tap water will conduct electricity.

What I mean is that measuring for conductivity is no guarantee of ionic
silver specifically, particularly if the solution in question is five years
old. Truly gas-tight containers certainly exist, but are not the norm (that's
the reason sealed packaging exists). If you place your solution in a bottle
or jar and just screw the lid on, five years later you will have had all sorts
of chemical activity going on in that container. (unless it was stored in
the dark in a vacuum, and the cap as well as the container is glasss). You can measure for conductivity, but that will not give proof of a given solution being
"unchanged".

I don't mean to get into an argument or anything, but it's just the way
things are. Ionic solutions are volatile (have a short shelf life), and are
photo-sensitive by nature. That is why medicinal ionic solutions (for
insstance those commonly known  as "iodine" and "mercurachrome") always came
packaged in brown glass bottles.

When someone tells me he kept some ionic solution for five years and
measuring for conductivity "proved" the solution was still pristine,
I feel obligated to point out that he has not proved that at all.
It is hard enough to determine proper facts in this field of study, after all.

BTW, one can easily test this at home; measure the conductivity of a jar of
plain distilled water, then store the jar for a few months, then measure again.
You will see much more conductivity after. :)

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>