A tick can take a breath every 20 days or so and do pretty well.
Doing forestry work in Alabama. we'd do tick check every 15 minutes and put dozens of them in a jar cap full of 99% Methanol to bet on how long they ran in circles.

'bout a half hour...till the Methanol dried them up..desiccated to death.

Incidentally, I've heard that ticks, fleas and flea eggs don't do well with sudden altitude changes [pop]

Ode