On 16 Nov 2009 at 19:33, Dorothy Fitzpatrick wrote about :
Subject : Re: CS>tyndall again

> I haven't put the filters in Tony.  dee
>
> On 16 Nov 2009, at 19:11, Tony Moody wrote:
>
> > Hi Dorothy,
> >
> > I can't see how filtering the water before distilling would cause
> > trouble. But cleaning or wiping after the batch could contaminatet the
> > next batch.
> >
> > OK just looked at http://stores.vitality4life.co.uk and the one they
> > hshow has a post -treatment carbon filter which could be the culprit.
> > See if removing the filter makes a difference,
> >
> > OK,
> > Tony

Dear Dorothy,

OK, No post filter. Good thinking.

It's got to be something happening after the boiling takes place. Some
contamination in the kettle would be acceptable; after all, that' s what
you are trying to do - - remove contaminants from the water in the
kettle. Yes?

Normally only steam goes into the condensing unit on top of the "kettle",
which converts the steam to distilled water by cooling the steam.

Possible sources of contamination. :
*   Water drops carrying over from the kettle > try less water in the
    kettle to stop it sputtering while boiling.
*   Contamination in the condensing head and outlet spout. > check for
    pockets or leaks inwards. rinse thoroughly.
*   Contamination in the collection jug. > try a clean glass jug

[ another thought ; remembering that you got yours from usa. If it has a
110volt heating element and you have 220v wall supply that is going to be
double the power into the water and its going to boil furiously which
WILL cause water drop carry-over. ]

OK,
Tony