I sent this once but received back an error message. Trying again.

I ran across the following info that says that Vitamin C  may cause
hardening of the arteries. I am used to seeing info saying that Vitamin
C is good for the arteries such as the link further down. I don't take
very high doses of Vitamin C, 500 - 1000 mg, but now I am concerned.
Anyone have better data?
Thanks,
- Steve N

http://altmedangel.com/arteries.htm

"Ascorbic Acid Causes Hardening of the Arteries?
It seems hardly likely that taking high doses of vitamin C (ascorbic
acid) can cause thickening or hardening of the arteries since so many
people have taken high doses for a long time. Yet researchers from the
University of California reported just that on March 2, 2000. People who
took 500 mgs of ascorbic acid had a 2.5 times faster progression of
thickening of the carotid artery (hardening of the arteries) than people
who took no supplement.
This study was not a clinical study where subjects are divided into
those taking ascorbic acid and those taking a placebo. This was an
epidemiological study which means patient records were examined and this
finding popped up. There might well have been other confounding factors
that would explain the artery-thickening finding.
Nonetheless, the researchers were surprised at the finding. And it
seemed that the higher the dose of ascorbic acid, the worse the artery
damage (the more they took, the faster the buildup). In fact, smokers
taking 500 mgs of ascorbic acid had a rate of artery thickening five
times greater than nonsmokers not taking the supplement. And while no
one is sure what this all means, the researchers did come up with some
common sense ideas about fractionated supplementation.
The director of the study astutely observed that "when you extract one
component of food and give it at very high levels, you just don't know
what you are doing to the system, and it may be adverse." Other
researchers were quick to add that the research shows the uncertainties
of picking out a single vitamin among the plethora of nutrients in a
healthy diet. They added that it is a challenge to pick out nutrients
that may make people live longer because if we are wrong, we can do
harm"
_______
http://www.medical-library.net/vitamin_c_and_vascular_disease.html

"Animals In The Wild Do Not Get Heart Attacks

The process of atherosclerosis is limited to humans. Animals in the wild
do not develop atherosclerosis, therefore no heart attacks and no
strokes occur among these citizens of nature. To induce an animal to
have atherosclerosis you have to put it in captivity and feed it the
kind of diet which humans use to cause the problem. The guinea pig and
fruit bat make good models, if this is what you want to do. The gorilla
would make a good model, but who wants fifty gorillas lined up in a
laboratory?

Animals in the wild do not get heart attacks because they make their own
ascorbate, and therefore the process of atherosclerosis does not begin.
We humans could take the hint, load up on vitamin C and a few other
vitamins twice each day for life and eradicate heart disease. This is
already happening in the U.S. where ascorbate consumption has
skyrocketed over the past 25 years, and heart disease has dropped by one
third. The war against smoking may also have something to do with this,
yet in countries where smoking has declined in the absence of increased
ascorbate consumption, there has been no equivalent change in heart
disease rates."

"All The Known Actions of Ascorbate
1. Increases HDL (high density lipoprotein) production. (HDL is able to
help resorb fat located in plaque. In the process it changes from a disc
shape to a globular form of HDL, and takes this fat to the liver to be
burned.)
2. Decreases the production of lipoprotein(a). (Somehow the liver knows
when there is plenty of ascorbate on board, and therefore no need for
high levels of lipoprotein(a) which is, after all, a repair factor for
the cracks in blood vessel walls which come up in the absence of
sufficient ascorbate.)
3. Down-regulates cholesterol and triglyceride production in the liver.
[These are secondary repair factors in that they are glued into the
plaque by lipoprotein(a).]
4. Lowers blood sugar and insulin requirements.
5. By relaxing the blood vessel walls, lowers blood pressure when
hypertension is present. (This is not the total answer to a case of
hypertension, but it can help.)
6. Inhibits inappropriate intravascular clot formation (the final and
sometimes deadly event in cases of heart attacks and strokes)."