## If you introduce a thermal differential in a liquid..warm area and opposing cooler area...warmer rises, cooler sinks. "Convection currents" are the result. One side of the jar painted black, or a vertical strip of black tape absorbs more solar radiation there than the water and glass of the rest of the container making that thermal differential.

http://silverpuppy.com/thermalstirsequence.html

In that series of photos, note that the electrodes are very close to the bottom of the container and would ordinarily leave silver oxide and silver hydroxide deposit spots on the glass bottom..whitish on one side, black on the other and eventually a silvery mirror between them.

Just that little bit of motion in the water eliminates the deposit formations.

In that case, the warm spot is center bottom and the cooler...all the sides, making a torrid shaped stir pattern, like a dynamically frosted doughnut. There is a bit of a limitation in that in very tall containers, the water cools before it reaches the top, spreads out and sinks..so the top doesn't get stirred very well. My solution to that was to put a chimney in the container to "blow the smoke" into the "stratosphere" by concentrating and increasing the velocity of the water. http://silverpuppy.com/funnel.html It works quite well, but a quart jar isn't really too tall...and glass funnels tend to break easily. [ A great idea that few really "need" balanced into a non sale with fragility issues]

Up one side and down the other works as well but with an advantage.
If the heat soak area goes all the way to the top using a full length vertical stripe to absorb and dissipate the concentrated energy...all the warmer water goes there too...in essence... a "virtual chimney" You can't break something that only exists in a dynamic state...not even in shipping where "Fragile" means "Play basketball with the box"

Ode