Things are irradiated because if one in a thousand consumers gets sick, an entire regional crop is recalled and composted...a wonderful way to go bankrupt.
It's cheaper to irradiate everything than to pay off one lawsuit.
It's not a matter of enjoyment, but self defense...and not mandated by Gov't.

Ode