I have been doing some study on the mechanics of ultrasonic cleaners in
relation to liposomes and I am curious of some of the ramifications:

1)  Ultrasonic cleaners work by producing alternating low and high sound waves.
The unit I am using does 50/60 Hz. The low phase produces the bubble and the
high phase implodes the bubbles which produces the cleaning action so desired
in such cleaners. Question: I can see the low phase producing liposomes, but
how are the liposomes immune to the high phase that normally ruptures bubbles?

2)  Using the cheap harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner, it is recommended to
stir the solution and that the more shallow the solution, the higher the
quality of liposome. Is stirring really necessary as it is so time consuming?
It seems to me that the solution has natural movement all by itself from the
production of the ultrasonic waves.

3)  It is suggested that the best cavitation of the solution in the ultrasonic
cleaner occurs when the solution is warm, plus the cavittion produces heat too.
How much danger is this produced heat from ultrasonic wave production to
ascorbic acid or the ascorbates' integrity over a long period of time? Is it
minimal? One would logically conclude that the more heat produced, the more
energetic the cavitation---would one not? If this is true, would it not be more
efficient to produce liposomes with specialized instruments like sonifiers
(pulsing and placing the lipo-C in ice water to keep temps low)?

4)  It sounds to me that the longer one can run your lipo-C solution in a
ultrasonic cleaner the better the quality of liposomes according to some of
Brooks' later posts, however there is what is known as "degassing" in
ultrasonic cleaning. Many instruction manuals for cleaners will advise you to
"de-gas" your solution from 5-10 minutes before actually starting the cleaning
process. Degassing is the initial removal of gases present in the solution.
Useful cavitation occurs after the gasses have been removed from the solution
leaving a vacuum in the later formed bubbles as it is written in these manuals.
So it seems to me on first glance after reading this, that one would not want
to extend our Lipo-C solution cavitation much longer than the recommended 6
minutes as that would degas the solution, producing an "empty bubble". Is this
true or am I missing some thing?

5)  Finally, there seems to me, better ways to produce a liposome via sound
waves. Would not lab devices known as sonifiers/sonicators/cell disruptors be a
better choice since these devices produce an intense steady frequency unlike
the ultrasonic cleaner? Agreed, this device would not be in the reach of the
average home-made tech, but would it produce a smaller, better liposome than
ultrasonic cleaners? I realize that heat generation would be a problem from
such intense ultrasound involvement from a cell disruptor, but having the
solution in ice and pulsing should over come this problem, eh?

doug