I believe that Doug is referring to the rarefaction and compression phases of
the ultrasonic wave in the cleaning solution.

 - Steve N

http://www.blackstone-ney.com/pdfs/T_Fundamentals.pdf
"In elastic media such as air and most solids, there is a continuous
transition as a sound wave is transmitted. In non-elastic media such
as water and most liquids, there is continuous transition as long as
the amplitude or "loudness" of the sound is relatively low. As
amplitude is increased, however, the magnitude of the negative
pressure in the areas of rarefaction eventually becomes sufficient to
cause the liquid to fracture because of the negative pressure, causing
a phenomenon known as cavitation. Cavitation "bubbles" are created
at sites of rarefaction as the liquid fractures or tears because of the
negative pressure of the sound wave in the liquid. As the wave fronts
pass, the cavitation "bubbles" oscillate under the influence of positive
pressure, eventually growing to an unstable size. Finally, the violent
collapse of the cavitation "bubbles" results in implosions, which cause
shock waves to be radiated from the sites of the collapse. The collapse
and implosion of myriad cavitation "bubbles" throughout an
ultrasonically activated liquid result in the effect commonly associated
with ultrasonics. It has been calculated that temperatures in excess of
10,000°F and pressures in
excess of 10,000 PSI are generated at the implosion sites of cavitation
bubbles."