Doug,
I am not an expert but here is my opinion on your questions.

1) I think that your ultrasonic transducer operates at a frequency around 42
kHz and not 50/60 Hz. The bubbles that rupture are bubbles of gas. The liposome
bubbles that form consist of a phospholipid shell with a water center. Since
the liposome bubble is not gaseous it does not rupture in the same way that gas
bubbles do. That does not mean that shear forces do not rupture some lipisomes
but I expect that the liposomes reform after the shear forces go away.

2) The ultrasonic waves apply shear forces to break the lecithin into
individual phospholipids that will then form liposomes See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liposome
"It should be noted that formation of liposomes and nanoliposomes is not a
spontaneous process. Lipid vesicles are formed when phospholipids such as
lecithin are placed in water and consequently form one bilayer or a series of
bilayers, each separated by water molecules, once enough energy is supplied
[8]. Liposomes can be created by sonicating phospholipids in water[3]. Low
shear rates create multilamellar liposomes, which have many layers like an
onion. Continued high-shear sonication tends to form smaller unilamellar
liposomes. In this technique, the liposome contents are the same as the
contents of the aqueous phase."

As the article states, low shear rates create multilamellar liposomes, which
have many layers like an onion. The goal is to generate high shear rates to
create small liposomes. This can be done in small ultrasonic cleaners as well
as in large ultrasonic cleaners. The shear rate is proportional to the energy
in the solution and is usually defined by the watts/volume the transducer
produces. You can adjust the watts/volume by simply by changing the amount of
solution you put in the ultrasonic cleaner. The reason for the stirring is that
standing waves generally form in the solution. This is evidenced by ripples on
the top of the solution. If the ripples are stationary. Then the desired shear
forces are not moving through the solution but are stationary. To evenly apply
the shear forces to all the lecithin, you must then move the lecithin around by
stirring.

3) The ultrasonic cleaner is a form of sonication. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonication
" Sonication is the act of applying sound (usually ultrasound) energy to
agitate particles in a sample, for various purposes. In the laboratory, it is
usually applied using an ultrasonic bath or an ultrasonic probe, colloquially
known as a sonicator."

4) Yes, gas in the solution reduces the effectiveness of the process because
the gas bubbles absorb some of the ultrasonic energy. I don't know how long it
takes to degas a solution but using distilled water for the solution will
reduce the amount of dissolved gasses in the solution you start with.

 - Steve N