LiveJournal is a good one. I believe it's free. You can run a copy of it on your own servers privately. However I don't know how to do that. If you're interested you'd have to ask the techies at LJ how it's done. As far as I'm concerned it's better than Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace or any other I've run across. I love the platform and the ability to do page customization with CSS and HTML. And you get email notifications of new posts, or just replies to specific posts you're interested in. Private messaging. And whole slew of other features. Posting can also be done by clients such as Semagic, and Firefox addons. Otherwise you could just set up your own private network with a server or two like businesses do and anyone who wants to access the private network would need a password. Then you'd have complete control of everything.

Annie