"Jane MacRoss" <highfie...@internode.on.net> wrote:

>I hear what you're saying  Jill - so what does my Gauss meter tell me - that
>the micowave even when off emits something that registers, as do the new light
>globes, unlike the olde ones?  I will never like Smart Meters however.
>
>Jane

A microwave oven uses a magnetron to convert the energy into microwaves.
There is a brief explanation in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron

The magnetron requires very strong magnets to force the electrons to flow
in circles past the cavities. You can barely see the magnets in the photo
below. The bottom magnet is the black ring below the bottom cooling fin.
The top magnet is almost completely hidden near the top of the housing.

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Magnetron1.jpg";

I take old magnetrons apart and retrieve the magnets. They are very useful
for picking up steel objects you may have dropped on the floor and can't
find.

They throw a strong field quite a distance outside the microwave oven. If
you have a sensitive gauss meter, you will easily detect the field. It is
usually on the right side of the oven about the middle. There will be very
little field on the same location on the left side of the oven because it
is further away from the magnetron. You can make the same measurements with
an ordinary compass.

The magnetic field is harmless. It is static, like the Earth's field. It
may actually be weaker outside the oven than the fridge magnets you use to
save notes on the fridge door.

The field from the magnetron is permanent. It does not shut off when you
unplug the oven.

I don't know what you are referring to when you talk about light globes. I
can't think of what might be in them to register on your Gauss meter, but
if you gave a link to one, I might be able to find out.

A Gauss meter measures DC static fields. These cannot harm you. You are
immersed in a constant field from the Earth. The mesurements you get from
the Gauss meter are not giving you any useful information about any
dangerous conditions.

Thanks,

Mike Monett

Archives: