My two cents worth (actually, Bruce K. Stenulson's two cents worth) pulled
from...
http://web.idirect.com/~showcase/althealth/makecs.htm

In an AC powered operation as some others are promoting, where the polarity
is constantly switched, other undesirable things may happen; it is known
that in all electro-colloidal silver generating processes, some charge
stripping of silver ions does occur as they come in contact with the
cathode, resulting in their gaining electrons, and the resulting reduction
to atomic silver particles (without the charge that is said to produce the
pathogen disabling effect.) In a DC system, these reduced metallic particles
remain as a grayish 'sludge' buildup on the surface of the cathode, and
eventually are very visible at higher current levels. In a system where the
polarity is switched constantly, this sludge is propelled and dispersed back
into the water continuously, as evidenced by the 'clean electrodes' spoken
of.

Mechanical effects of redispersal of plated out silver "sludge" from the
cathode will occur at higher concentrations and especially at higher
currents, especially if AC is used, resulting in much coarser, uncharged
metallic silver particles than may be desired floating about in your
product. Filtering with good lab quality filter media may be able to remove
some of this "non-ionic" silver; settling of most of the really larger
particle "clumps" might also occur within 72 hours, I'd estimate, if the
particles are not too fine. I guess the question is this; are the positively
charged colloidal silver ions, (as produced in a DC process), what you want
in your product, or do you want non-charged 'non-ionic' metallic silver
particles, as produced in the AC processes? From what I have researched and
what I understand at this time, I'd stay with Dr. Becker's recommendations
myself, and try to produce the positively charged Colloidal Silver Ions with
a DC process.

[To summarize this for the technically inclined] please consider carefully
that, just as positively charged silver ions are generated into the system
at the anode, they are attracted to the negatively charged cathode. Many
stay in the colloidal suspension, but as the concentration of silver ions
build up, and the current flow through the system increases, more and more
silver ions are drawn to, and come in contact with the cathode. When they do
this, they are stripped of their positive charge, and 'plate out' on the
surface of the cathode as a visible 'sludge', but do not bond to the surface
structure - they accumulate as larger groups of loosely bonded, uncharged
silver particles. If what I understand Dr. Becker and others to be saying is
true, these uncharged silver particles, what I refer to as the 'silver
sludge' formed at the cathode, should be removed if possible from your
finished product.

Using a DC power source, with no polarity reversal, is my strong
recommendation (and that of many others) for predictably generating
positively charged colloidal silver particles (biologically active silver
ions) in your product, while controlling silver 'sludge' dispersal problems.
[Note that this DC supply can be produced either from an AC source,
rectified, regulated, and filtered, or from a battery supply.]
Electroplaters have long known that a well rectified DC power source was
required to generate and manipulate metallic ions in their processes to
achieve the desired results.

All of the above was taken from...
http://web.idirect.com/~showcase/althealth/makecs.htm

(please don't be mad Bruce)

Yours in health,
James Allison

Allisons Apothecary
http://apothecary.hypermart.net
Home of the $29.95 Colloidal Silver Generator
That's Right, $29.95 :)