thanks Ivan that you mention that,
the effect in mind you have is due to the friction in water. It's
improbable that they come back to the wire even if they are not
neutralized.
If you would not have any friction than you could make a movie and play
it back and forth, it would always comply with physics laws (including
inertia). Without friction, if you reverse the movie it looks like you
just reversed the voltage.
There is also scattering on the watermolecules which introduces a new
complication.
It's wonderful that this discussion goes on. I have already learned a
lot.
Günter