----- Original Message -----
From: Fred <f...@health2us.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, 9 December 1999 07:28
Subject: Re: CS>RE:Particle size -LV and HV

> Ivan,
>
>  I appreciate your addition to this complex problem (the more to
> consider the better the analysis), but must question your last
paragraph:

Thanks. I am working back through the mail, there are a few I would
like to comment on, or seek clarification about.

>  "There is no doubt that HVAC silver sols are ionic, in that the
> particles carry a charge, as can be easily attested by a
conductivity
> reading."
>
> Conductivity and charge are not solidly related, from what I have
seen,
> specifically "a new deionizer cartridge (resin bed) with activated
(fine)
> charcoal particles will make DW a dark and highly conductive
> suspension, with a steady falloff of conductivity as the particles
settle".
> Is not a charcoal suspension the same as a metallic crystal
suspension?

Activated charcoal is a complex composition of mainly carbon and some
minerals etc. The particles are very large compared to silver colloids
and are probably charged to some degree. Would be interesting to put
some dc electrodes in the water and see whether they drift towards one
of them.
Do metallic (neutral) suspensions give a conductivity reading?

> Comments? and did you check if 'Zeta Potential' equipment is
available
> to you?

Yes I have posted on Zeta Potential a few times. The only use for this
reading in a mono-dispersed suspension is to measure whether the
particles are charged or not and whether the particles have lost one
or more electrons. To check this one can measure the mV between 2
probes in the solution.
In multi-dispersed suspensions the zeta potential can give important
data about the interaction between different particle types and alows
the adjustment of properties to be measured. The commercial method of
measuring ZP is by particle travel speed towards an electrode and can
also provide particle sizing down to about 2 nm which I would be more
interested in, If I had the readies.

Try this for a discussion of ZP measurement:
http://reliant.pharm.nottingham.ac.uk/zeta.html