All you're doing is getting the really big stuff out...the sparklies, chunkies,floaters, pollen, dust, dander and cat hairs etc. None of this stuff will hurt you. It just doesn't look good.
I've had few problems with bleached paper but I do suppose that unbleached would be better. Ash free lab filters can be had online as well.
I think the contamination thing got started when someone noticed that the papar had gotten browinsh after filtering, surmising that the filter had reacted with the paper and that stuff was now in their batch of CS.
But the facts are that the color change on the paper is nothing more than dried and oxidized [ionic?] CS and CS will turn that color wherever it dries. Even the lab filters designed to not contaminate stuff turn color when dried.
I sometimes use a paper towel as a filter.
Ken