Evening Marshall,

   Thanks for all the details on transformers.

>>Sounds like a good place to start. Be careful, I have been bit at least 3 or 4
times by mine, the blasted secondary voltage will jump an inch or more to your
hand if nor careful. You don't have to touch it.

Yes, I agree this high voltage stuff is not for everyone. I certainly know enough to respect it, even though I have worked with it very little.

At one time, I serviced all of the quality control equipment in a battery manufacturing facility. One piece of test equipment was much like a megger or high voltage tester. It was used to read the imperfections between the plates within the batteries.

When I had these in my shop, I stood on rubber matting when I had to make a few measurements with power on. Also kept one hand in the hip pocket and kept all body parts at as much distance as possible.

As for the ultimate lesson in high voltage, one needs to be hit by lightning. It happened to me. I was talking on the phone in a metal building. The voltage came down the phone wire, rattled my elbows on the table, knocked me and the chair a few feet backwards, an of course knocked the phone out of my hand.

I could taste blood in the mouth and the whole side of my face was numb just like a dentist visit for about 1 to 1.5 hours.

Sure wish I could have measured that one. Since that day, I don't talk on the phone during a thunderstorm.

  Wayne

To join or quit silver-list or silver-digest send an e-mail message to: silver-list-requ...@eskimo.com -or- silver-digest-requ...@eskimo.com