Dear Jenn,

  You said:

<<I thought I remember some liver toxicity issues with extended or excessive
use of L-Tryptophan, am I remembering correctly. This was back in the late
80's.>>

  You recall correctly; however, that was from an adulterated batch.
No other problems of this type have been apparent.

  I would caution people who are using, or have used SSRI or SNRI
(antidepressants) drugs to use tryptophan with caution.  For those
currently using SSRIs, tryptophan increases the amount of intracellular
serotonin which could result in a toxic or paradoxical reaction.  For those
who have previously taken SSRIs, taking tryptophan can overload the
serotonin transporter system, which in some cases has been structurally
altered, resulting in a paradoxical reaction (aggressiveness, altered sense
of reality, etc.)

  As an aside, SSRIs and SSRIs are dangerous, creating long term
changes in the brain and altering a person's judgement.  If anyone
wants more info, I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.
You can write to me off-list at ccr...@maine.rr.com.

Regards,
Catherine