a...@concentric.net writes:

> When I had all my mercury fillings removed 15 years ago, the dentist I
> > consulted in San Diego wanted $175 per tooth for the work.   My dentist
> in
> > Tijuana removed all at $25 a tooth.

I can't speak to the specifics of the cost difference here - Mexico does do a
lot of things cheaper than in the U.S., so this may be legit.  However, for
those looking to have mercury fillings removed and replaced, I would caution
that you interview your dentist very carefully to make sure s/he knows the
proper procedure to do this without causing further damage.

I have had all mine removed, but I had to switch dentists.  My friendly
neighborhood dentist continued to assert that mercury fillings were inert
(question:  what does the dentist do with the filling once it's out?  He has
to dispose of it as hazardous waste!).  But, if it would make me feel better
(I had already been told by my doctor that I had a mercury toxicity problem),
he would just drill them out.  My doctor had cautioned me to ask if he had
received the special training to do this.  When I asked, the dentist just
laughed at me and said "how do you get them out except drill them?"

Just drilling without taking proper precautions can cause more damage.  The
small particles end up down your throat and in your sinuses.  The dentist who
did the removal placed a rubber dam in my mouth to prevent particles from
going down my throat, and gave me air over my nose to breathe through a mask
so I wouldn't breathe in particles.  He and his assistant came in fully
masked (with those haz-mat masks, not the little paper ones) and goggled and
rubber gloved.  Then he prescribed chlorella and a bunch of other things to
chelate the mercury out of my system.  I haven't been back to be retested
yet, but I feel confident that this dentist did it right.

By the way, most insurance companies won't pay to have the fillings changed
just because you want to, or even if your doctor says to have it done because
of a known mercury toxicity.  But a dentist who does this regularly will know
how to complete a superbill to maximize insurance payments.  Mine was almost
all covered (not the supplements, just the procedure), because all my
fillings were so old he got them to pay to have them replaced due to wear &
tear (I don't know the technical way he wrote it up, but that was the
upshot).

Linda