I'm no expert but do know a 'little' about metallurgy.
 Silver/mercury amalgum should be inert if there is enough silver in it,
but, in order for the amalgum to be soft enough to pressed into the cavity,
it may have been made silver deficient.  Amalgum does take some time to
completely react and harden.
 Adding silver in the form of colloids should further stabilize and harden
exposed surfaces...key word "exposed"
 "If" there is silver in the blood stream and the blood stream interfaces
with the filling, it should eventually harden and stabilize the filling.
Then too, many non ferrous metals will make an amalgum with mercury.  Tin
is one...possibly lead, zinc and copper etc?

 Perhaps being exposed to lead and tin over many years with electroplating
and soldering, zinc vapors from welding, has prevented my many fillings
from being  a problem.
 or, I had a good dentist that didn't chince on the silver.
 In fact, he glues a pure silver foil in the cavity before applying the
amalgum.
 I have a lady friend whos childhood dentist packed her cavities with
cotton before applying the amalgum. She's paying for that cheap SOB
now...in spades.

Ken