This could be the result of a high pressure area in the nail as it grows
out of the cuticle that reveals a normal blue color like that seen in veins
under the skin of a fair complected person. If you look across the upper
plane of the nail, you'll find that it is not uniform, but waves up and
down /grows thick then thin, perpendicular to the direction of the finger
as it progresses toward the end in a process resembling the extrusion of
molten glass on a molten tin bed. If it's not absolutely uniform, the
resulting plate glass will be inferior. The body rarely does anything
uniformly.
 Changes in diet can modify the way the nail grows. Various nutritional
deficiencies and excesses can show up there as well in both color effects
and thickness.
Ken