Hi guys,
Not to put too fine a point on it :)

You will find that the "converging rays from a projecting lantern" are
collimated to some degree, but this is not the point. It is not the
nature of the light source (within reason) that accounts for the cone,
rather, it is the forward nature of the scattering when light is
refracted from particles much smaller than the wavelength of that
light.

A laser pointer does indeed produce a cone. It is not easy to
distinguish, however, mainly because its base is quite small to begin
with.

Ivan