At 12:23 AM 8/29/02 -0400, you wrote:

>The presumption of those first batches I ever made being low PPM yet large
>grey colloids comes from the recognition of the batches appearing
>clear-to-milky yet eventually several batches "silvered" the clear glass. I
>believe only large grey colloids will do that. Yellow colloids will cause
>clear glass to go golden over time- if enough batches are made in one
>container.
>Johnny Silverseed
### Or if one very deep yellow batch is stored in that container for a long
time.
 What you are descibing as silvering the glass is a process akin to
electroless plating where a thin conductive surface gets established on an
otherwise nonconductive surface and the coating is plated thicker and
thicker as the process continues.
 This is done on purpose when plating the through holes drilled in a
circuit board to establish an electrical connection between the two sides
of the board.  The initial conductive surface is chemically deposited on
the fiberglass and the final surface is electroplated to a prescribed
thickness. [also, see bronzing baby shoes]
 In the CS process, this happens when the electrodes are too close to the
container, there are no water currents to suffiecient to prevent deposition
and a track of ions and particles energetically collides with the container
getting stuck there.  It's similar to the ion depositing [I forget the
exact term?] process of making mirrors except that mirror making now is
accomplished by ion emmission bombardment in a vaccuum onto  statically
charged glass. [much like modern powder coating is done as a painting process]

 I believe the very large grey "chunks" are a form of unstable silver
hydroxide and/or are the result of silver becoming trapped on the surface
tension of hydrogen bubbles. They form on the hydrogen producing electrode
and can fall off into the water. It they do so slowly and continuously, it
can form a semi solid, semi conductive coating on the bottom between the
electrodes for more silver to plate onto.

Remove it.  It will eventually short out your entire process and waste a
lot of silver.
 Prevent it with some sort of stirring and a greater distance between the
electrodes and the container.

   Similarly, when the electrodes are removed from the water, some of the
silver can be transferred from the surface tension of the hydrogen bubbles
to the surface tension of the water and form a silvery "floater".  A bubble
[hydrogen/water interface] has the same surface tension characteristics as
the air/water interface.

 If the surface of the hydrogen bubble is not so coated as to prevent it
from eventually popping, when it does pop [disburse], it will release a
small particulate mist of colloidal particles very much similar in
appearance to the so called "ion cloud".  If you leave the electrodes in
the water for a while after removing power, you can see this happen...and
you'll get a more pronounced TE.  I don't know the size of these particles,
but they never seem to settle out. I suspect they are identical to the
particles in the white "ion cloud", in fact, were once part of it and got
re released when the trap dissolved.
 If the trapped particles get too compacted on the bubble, it forms a
stable semi conductive structure...a chunk...that just sits on the bottom
if it falls off. [can be filtered out]

 All of these effects can happen all at once with a variety of results.

Ken