> Re: CS>Silver Generation with ULVDC
> From: Robert Berger
> Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:43:45

  > Hi Mike,

  > A very good report!!

  > The oxidation  potential  for water is 1.228  volts.  If  you stay
  > below this  voltage  there will never be any  oxides  or peroxides
  > formed. The electrodes will stay clean.

  > "Ole Bob"

  Hi Robert,

  Thanks! And   thank   you   for   the   motivation   to  pursue this
  investigation. I  read all your posts that said you could  make high
  ppm cs, and it stayed clear.

  I have to confess I didn't believe it, but you were insistent enough
  that I  finally said I had to try to find out how you  did  it. Your
  post on the low current density was a very important clue. Thanks.

  I'd like  to  make 8oz of cs in 8 to  12hr  without  stirring, using
  discarded transistor radio batteries. For example, a 9V  Duracell is
  specified at 580mA/hr into a 620 ohm load before it reaches 0.8V per
  cell. This is an initial current drain of 14mA.

  When the  battery  can  no longer drive a  boom  box,  there's still
  plenty of  energy  left. At low current, there might  be  enough for
  several months  of  cs  production. This means  the  supply  of used
  batteries exceeds  the  demand, which is  a  desirable  situation in
  third world countries.

  According to  the data shown below, it might be possible to  run the
  generator on a single AA cell. This would be very advantageous since
  it would last even longer.

  My generator  is an 8oz syrup jug with the electrodes  screwed  to a
  plastic lid.  One  electrode is two 12ga. wires in  parallel  with a
  wetted length of 3.85 inches. The surface area is 2 * 3.85 *  0.25 =
  2 * 0.96 ~= 2 sq. in.

  The other electrode is 17 inches of 12ga wire bent into a "W" shape.
  For convenience, I simply claim the surface area is twice  the other
  electrode, or 4 sq. in. (I don't trust my math on those curves:)

  The reason for dragging you through all this is that I found  when I
  use the  "W" electrode for the anode, I get a gray cloud  around the
  two cathode rods at the end of the process.

  When I  remove  power, this falls off the rods  and  turns  into the
  familiar brown  mist we all have seen with the 3 nines  method. Soon
  afterwards, the solution turns yellow and plates out.

  This never happens when I reverse the anode and cathode connections.

  Here's the  run at 155uA using the "W" electrode as  the  anode, and
  without thermal  stirring. I made some notes on the side  to explain
  what was happening.

  Thu May 08, 2003,  5:57:48 pm 2.010V <-- Start process
  Thu May 08, 2003,  6:49:52 pm 1.701V
  Thu May 08, 2003,  6:57:41 pm 1.645V
  Thu May 08, 2003,  7:17:21 pm 1.513V <-- 1 AA battery voltage
  Thu May 08, 2003,  8:04:49 pm 1.239V
  Thu May 08, 2003,  9:33:27 pm 1.060V
  Fri May 09, 2003, 12:44:41 am 0.858V <-- No whiskers or smudges.
  Fri May 09, 2003,  1:36:01 am 0.831V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  2:43:41 am 0.772V <-- Tiny whiskers on one cathode
  Fri May 09, 2003,  3:46:01 am 0.770V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  5:10:29 am 0.747V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  5:59:02 am 0.734V <-- Whiskers on both cathodes
  Fri May 09, 2003, 10:22:15 am 0.677V <-- Reversed the polarity

  At this point, both cathode rods are covered with the gray cloud.

  I reversed the polarity, and the cloud gradually dispersed.  This is
  good -  I  expected  it to fall off the rods to  the  bottom  of the
  glass. Also note the large drop in voltage across the rods.

  Fri May 09, 2003, 10:24:27 am 0.312V
  Fri May 09, 2003, 11:49:56 am 0.377V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  2:02:49 pm 0.412V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  3:08:20 pm 0.467V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  4:30:22 pm 0.461V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  4:37:18 pm 0.482V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  5:18:19 pm 0.663V
  Fri May 09, 2003,  5:52:13 pm 0.578V <-- stopped the process

  The salt test shows this is the strongest cs I have ever made.  If I
  ran the same quantity of electrons at the normal 1.4mA, the solution
  would have turned black long before this and I would have  thrown it
  away.

  I think it has a slight metallic taste, but it is not unpleasant. My
  friend (and cs guinea pig) says she can't detect it at all.

  The solution  remains perfectly clear, but I do expect  it  to start
  turning yellow  and  plate out soon. But if people  were  to  use it
  right away  instead of trying to store it, they sure would  get some
  high strength cs!

  Note that after 1 hr and 20 minutes, the necessary voltage  could be
  supplied by  a  single AA battery (used,  of  course:)  The solution
  could be  seeded with a portion from a previous batch  to  skip over
  the initial portion above 1.5V.

  If we  take 0.7V as an average voltage across the  rods,  the series
  resistor would be:

  R = E / I
    = (1.4 - 0.7) / 155e-6
    = 4516.129 ohms

  A common  4.7k  would probably work fine. I'll set it  up  and start
  testing as soon as I finish this post.

  So, "Ole  Bob", this look very promising. Thanks  to  your prodding,
  there may be a simple and inexpensive method of making  good quality
  cs, and no worries about the source of current.

  Please turn up the boom box, would you?

Best Regards,

Mike Monett