> Re: CS>Silver Generation with ULVDC
> From: Robert Berger
> Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 06:52:52

  > Mike,

  > It thrills  me  that  you  have  made  this  breark  through. Keep
  > looking!

  > The cathode  can be a single rod of #14 of ANY metal.  It  is only
  > the surface area of the anode that is effective. For the cathode I
  > use a 3/64" piece of brazing rod. It silver plates in a very short
  > time.

  > "Ole Bob"

  Hi "Ole Bob",

  The early  runs with asymmetrical anode and cathode  area  seemed to
  work well.  However,  attempts to operate with  equal  area  rods is
  turning out to be problematic.

  The last  run using 0.9 sq. in. rods formed into a "J" to  clear the
  bottom of  a  short glass seemed to hit a plateau  at  1.228V  - the
  voltage you  mentioned was the ionization voltage of  water.  When I
  disturbed the system, the voltage would go below this  voltage, then
  slowly rise  to meet it. If I managed to get it above, it  fell back
  to the  same  voltage.  So maybe I  accidentally  made  a  cell that
  measures the ionization voltage:)

  I'm continuing with a larger glass and the same rods, but  I changed
  the series  resistor to 25k shortly after the start of  a  run. This
  produced an  interesting  oscillation of about 1V  p-p  in  the cell
  voltage, indicating  there seems to be a battery effect.  I  think a
  similar effect was observed by others in the archives.

  I won't  clog up the list with the detailed  measurements,  but they
  are available to anyone who wants them.

  Reversing the  applied  voltage seems to help when  the  mist starts
  appearing around  the  cathode. But I'd like  a  system  that didn't
  require constant  obervation and fiddling. It might be  necessary to
  add a  small CMOS switch to reverse the polarity  at  some interval.
  This would  be  inexpensive, but it could be one  more  thing  to go
  wrong. After  this run, I'll try using a constant voltage  source of
  3V to 6V with a low value resistor and see what that does.

  Maybe the asymmetrical rod area is a key part of the process.

  Some of  the  runs produced the strongest cs I have  ever  made, and
  none of the solutions have turned yellow and plated out.

  So it seems this is well worth pursuing.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett