The term "ion cloud" has the quotation marks because that's the common language used.
  Actually, it's a particle cloud.
Ions are too small to see...too small to reflect the visible wavelength of light that you CAN see.

Plate out would be like a silver spot on the container due to the 'particle cloud' coming too close to the side r bottom as it follows a conductive track from electrode to electrode. Some oxide plate out will generally be apparent as a black spot too. Sufficient stirring eliminates that effect. Excessive stirring seems to make it worse but more evenly distributed. I think that it, like the yellow deposit is also an inertial thing but from a different angle. The yellow deposit left of the container that vanished when exposed to H2O2 is 'sorta' like plateout but rather than being made by electrical action [under electrical direction?], I think it is actually an inertial collision effect of large particles inpacting the container sides. It doesn't appear till the yellow batch of CS is left in the container for some time.
Ken

At 07:25 PM 5/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Hi, Dave. Here are two updates to my previous post with a bit more
information.

  > Re: CS>Silver Generation with ULVDC
  > From: Mike Monett
  > Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:13:34

  [...]

  > and we  can  observe  silver  oxide  forming  at  the  cathode and
  > streaming away in a mist.

  Actually, the black film that collects on the anode and  cathode has
  been identified by others as silver oxide. Now, silver particles and
  silver oxide  are  both black, and both  conduct  electricity. These
  people are  much  more   competent   than   me,   so  I  trust their
  identification as silver oxide.

  But the  mist  that streams away from the cathode  may  be something
  else. Ken  (Ode  Coyote)  calls   it   an  "ion  cloud".  This seems
  plausible, but why doesn't it dissipate due to the ion charge?

  Normally, when I got the mist with any of my previous processes, the
  solution turned  yellow and plated out. Coyote Enterprises  has some
  excellent photos on his site showing this. There is a picture of the
  plateout at  the  bottom of this page. Click on the  link  after the
  phrase "Eventually, it sticks to the sides of the container."

  http://silverpuppy.com/colloidal%20silver%20and%20the%20process.html

  Here is  a  beautiful sequence showing  the  mist  dissipating after
  thermal stirring is turned on:

  http://silverpuppy.com/thermal%20stir%20sequence.html

  I get the same kind of mist with the ULVDC process without stirring,
  but it doesn't seem to want to plate out.

  I was sure the last batch I made with a 9V battery and a  51k series
  resistor would plate out, since it generated a great deal of mist.

  It is a bit turbid, and the salt test shows it is quite  strong, but
  there is  no sign of yellowing. In fact, none of the batches  I have
  made since  I  started  the ULVDC process  have  shown  any  sign of
  turning yellow and plating out. The salt test show it keeps the same
  strength as it had originally.

  [...]

  > Anyway, free  electrons do not survive for long in water.

  This is worth a bit more explaining. The electron would  quickly hit
  an ion and neutralize it. So the lifetime of a free electron is very
  short.

  > What happens to them after that is the Art of Colloidal Silver!

Best Regards,

Mike Monett